Cyber Scam Awareness Uncategorized

Cyber Fraud striking Canada to USA Citizen’s Social Insurance Number

Recently Police arrested a man who was the part of cyber fraud. He was collecting SIM through fake IDs and also found approx. 8 lakh American and Canadian Citizens data with unique Social Insurance Number.

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) holds significance for every American and Canadian citizen due to its various essential functions. This 9-digit number is required for individuals seeking employment in Canada or aiming to access governmental programs and benefits. Safeguarding your SIN is paramount as it is considered private, and its unauthorized use is illegal. The issuance of SINs falls under the jurisdiction of Service Canada, typically provided in the form of a paper Confirmation of SIN letter; however, a plastic SIN card remains valid if not expired.

The necessity for a SIN extends to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents. This identifier is essential for employment within Canada and for receiving support and services from government initiatives. In the case of minors aged 12 and above, they can apply for their own SIN, while those below the age of majority can have their parents, legal guardians, or representatives apply on their behalf. Importantly, applying for a SIN incurs no cost.

Application procedures encompass both online methods, involving secure digital document uploads and potential online access to the SIN after processing, and offline approaches, such as in-person applications at a Service Canada Centre or through mail. Individuals are encouraged to select the scenario that aligns with their circumstances to determine the appropriate documentation required for application.

Submit an application for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in the following circumstances:

•         Initial application for a new SIN

•         Obtain confirmation of your existing SIN

•         Rectify errors in your SIN record

•         Update your SIN record due to a legal name change

•         Update citizenship status in your SIN record

•         Update immigration document’s expiry date in your SIN record

•         Remove disc number from your SIN record To ensure the security of your personal data, it’s essential not to leave your computer or device unattended while completing the online SIN application. Always close your browser if you step away from your computer or device. Minors applying on their own: Children aged 12 and above have the option to apply for their own SIN. If you’re below the legal age in your province or territory and are seeking a SIN, you must furnish all necessary documents. If you’re unable to provide these documents, a representative can submit the application on your behalf.

Indian status individuals registered under the Indian Act who wish to include their status on their SIN record should furnish a Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada, in addition to the necessary documentation (refer to the “Applying for a SIN” section below for a list of required documents).

Applying for a SIN Determine the appropriate documentation to provide by selecting the relevant scenario that matches your circumstances (mandatory):

•         Applying for oneself

•         Acting as a parent or legal guardian, making an application on behalf of a minor or dependent adult child

•         Serving as a legal representative, applying on someone else’s behalf

•         Representing a deceased person’s estate and requesting a confirmation of SIN

Necessary Documents Outlined on this page: • Submission of authentic originals • Translation prerequisites • Primary identification document • Secondary document • Supporting document

Submission of Authentic Originals When applying via mail or in-person, solely original documents are acceptable. For online applications, digital copies are permissible, provided they are clear and legible. Consult the Application section to ascertain the documentation needed for your specific situation.

Translation Prerequisites For documents not in English or French, you must provide: • An English or French translation of the document • An attestation* or affidavit* composed and endorsed by the translator If the document is translated by a certified translator,* an attestation** should be submitted. If a non-certified translator performs the translation, an affidavit*** should be submitted. *A certified translator is a member of a provincial or territorial translators and interpreters organization.

An attestation functions as a written declaration affirming the accuracy and fidelity of a translated text in comparison to the original content.

An affidavit is a written statement certifying that the translation accurately represents the original text. The translator is required to sign this affidavit in the presence of a commissioner for oaths or a commissioner for taking affidavits. (These commissioners are designated by individual provinces or territories.)

Please note that translations conducted by family members are not permissible. For the purpose of this context, a family member is defined as a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or first cousin.

Primary identity documents are official papers that verify one’s identity and status within Canada. The specific primary identity document needed varies depending on your status in the country.

It is important to be aware that if there are slight disparities between the details provided in your online application and those on your primary identity document, the information from your primary identity document will be recorded in the Social Insurance Register.

In case you are applying online and your document contains identity-related information on both sides, remember to submit scans of both sides.

To determine the appropriate primary identity document you need to provide, please consult the relevant section below for the following categories:

•         Canadian citizens

•         Permanent residents

•         Temporary residents

•         Individuals born outside Canada who are registered under the Indian Act

•         Individuals living outside Canada without legal status within Canada

A secondary document is an official paper that validates your identity. It must be currently valid (unless it belongs to a deceased individual) and must be issued by a Canadian governmental authority (federal, provincial, or territorial) or be a foreign passport.

The secondary document should contain the following details:

•         Legal name, comprising family name and given name

•         Date of birth

Here are examples of secondary documents that are acceptable:

•         A passport (either Canadian or foreign)

•         An identification card or driver’s license issued by a Canadian province or territory

•         Any other ID issued by the Canadian government

A supporting document is a legally recognized paper that attests to the name you are presently using.

In the event that the name stated on any provided document differs from the name used in the SIN (Social Insurance Number) application, it is necessary to include a corroborating document.

Outlined below are examples of supporting documents that are considered acceptable:

1.       Forgotten SIN: If you have misplaced your SIN and cannot recall it, you have several options to retrieve it:

•         Locate it on documents such as your income tax return, tax slips, record of employment, or RRSP contribution.

•         Access it by logging in to or registering for the My Service Canada Account (MSCA).

•         Apply for a confirmation of your SIN to obtain the information.

2.       Lost or Stolen SIN: If your SIN has been lost or stolen, Service Canada will not provide a replacement automatically. A new SIN will only be issued if verifiable evidence exists indicating fraudulent use of the SIN. Should you believe this situation applies to you, consult the “Protecting your SIN” section for detailed guidance.

3.       Discovery of Another Person’s SIN: In the event that you come across someone else’s SIN, kindly return it to a Service Canada Center or send it via mail to Service Canada.

4.       Registration for a Newborn: For infants under one year old whose birth has not yet been registered in your province, you can apply for a SIN using your provincial Newborn Registration Service. This service is accessible in all Canadian provinces, except the territories where it is not yet available. If you reside in the territories, you should directly apply for your child’s SIN through Service Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *